On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Axel Kittenberger <axkibe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> While nobody's suggesting making this cookbook use the GPL, I think GPL
>> _incompatibility_ is unacceptable.
>
> Lets keep in mind, this is about a "book" (in the wider sense), not
> about a software project.The example Sean posted might fit more with
> another project in mind - "magic site for code snippet" rather than
> the book.

Sure, but nonetheless, it's important to be careful about source-code
contained within the book.  The entire point is to promulgate good and
useful coding practices, so readers should be free to copy and adapt
any source code snippets and use them in their code (whatever its
license) -- there's little more annoying than having to
rewrite/obfuscate almost trivial code just to work around
unintentional licensing incompatibilities.

I think the most practical thing is to simply use two licenses, one
for the text of the book -- maybe CC-... 3.0 -- and one for any source
code examples and snippets within it -- say, the same MIT license used
by most Lua code.

-Miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.