On 1/6/2011 7:41 PM, Tony Finch wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, KHMan wrote:
That's one option, I guess. I considered that, but couldn't quite match that
profile to a cookbook -- it remains to be seen whether for a cookbook, one can
delineate works clearly.

If your contributors give you a sufficiently liberal licence then it is
not necessary to precisely identify the author of each part in the text.
Consider how many open source projects work where contributors retain
copyright in their contributions. Use your revision control system to keep
track of contributions.

Yes, that is valid for a source code setting. I was thinking of how it would go in the traditional sense, like a book.

The entire thing is clearly a significant and copyrightable work, but if person A contributes 5 regexes to the string manipulation section, for instance, that's likely not copyrightable at all because most people will write similar code.

Actually, come to think of it, if I want to use a cookbook, and copy a snippet of 20-30 lines from it, I want the code to be in public domain, or else I rather not look at it.

So while the group as a whole can agree to copyright terms as collaborators for this "significant compilation" work, individual authors should not expect that all their work be actually copyrightable, especially for a cookbook thingy.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)