On 1/6/2011 6:51 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
Personally, I want to keep all rights on my texts, but give permission
to use them for this specific purpose, namely the Lua Cookbook, in
electroniic or other forms.

That was the arrangement for Lua Programming Gems.

That's one option, I guess. I considered that, but couldn't quite match that profile to a cookbook -- it remains to be seen whether for a cookbook, one can delineate works clearly. Gem-type books are like author showcases, but you don't need it within grasping range of your hand. On the other hand, a cookbook is for a developer to use every day -- I'll click on the site and click, click, click to get recipes I want, all with the minimum of fuss.

There will be a mailing list, there will be cross-fertilization, sections will be tweaked and tweaked. A bunch of people writing separate things is easy for Gems, but I suspect it's not possible to say that one person will be writing the topic of say, "Lua Idioms". People will read things and contribute. It's more of a collaboration, and legally, it's going to be hard for any one person to make a crystal-clear claim to have authored any single section. Therein lies the complication.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)