On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, KHMan wrote:

> Actually, come to think of it, if I want to use a cookbook, and copy a snippet
> of 20-30 lines from it, I want the code to be in public domain, or else I
> rather not look at it.

Yes. However in most jurisdictions it is impossible to put a new work into
the public domain so you must provide an explicit liberal copyright
licence such as CC0. http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

> So while the group as a whole can agree to copyright terms as collaborators
> for this "significant compilation" work, individual authors should not expect
> that all their work be actually copyrightable, especially for a cookbook
> thingy.

All work has copyright by default whether or not it is asserted.

It would be sensible to state on the cookbook mailing list signup page
that all contributions to the list are assumed to be under whatever
licence you require for use inthe cookbook unless explicitly stated
otherwise in the message. See for example the IETF "note well"
http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,