On 1/6/2011 8:34 PM, Tony Finch wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, KHMan wrote:
Actually, come to think of it, if I want to use a cookbook, and copy a snippet
of 20-30 lines from it, I want the code to be in public domain, or else I
rather not look at it.

Yes. However in most jurisdictions it is impossible to put a new work into
the public domain so you must provide an explicit liberal copyright
licence such as CC0. http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

It is a pity there is such an erosion of the public domain due to a profession that has a lot of moral bankruptcy in it. Are we going to lawyer-tag everything just because lawyers say so?

Did anyone check for copyright when copying code from the PiL book? If most people will code a short Task ABC in the same manner using standard techniques, would you still assert your copyright on it just because you can?

Am I going to check copyright tags of each snippet I copy into my program from the cookbook? I think not, and I will steer clear.

[snip]
All work has copyright by default whether or not it is asserted.

For example, of course I can try to copyright the regex ".*" and loudly assert my rights to it, but it is morally repugnant to do so.

[snip]

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)