Seriously though, as one of the culprits, I must say that SciTE could
do with a nicer installer.

But this is the point, endlessly misconstrued. Scite doesn't have any
kind of installer, nice or nasty. I am not a programming beginner, yet I
couldn't get Scite to run Lua programs and, like everyone else, I don't
want to spend more than a few minutes (sorry, I mean a few seconds)
wading through instructions on how to set up Scite for Lua -- assuming,
that  is, there are some instructions to wade through (I couldn't find
any).

I repeat my advice earlier: Install wxLua. It works straight out of the
box, as it were, has plenty of Lua examples, and is, to boot, a very
nicely designed environment for Lua on Windows.

Simon