On 11/mag/08, at 15:22, Pete Kay wrote:

I initially installed lua 5.1.3 by compiling from source code. Then, I tried to install using apt-get but the version is 5.0.3.

You probably installed in /usr/local/ when buildign from sources and so 5.1.3 comes first in PATH. You can check that typing 'which lua' at prompt.

How do I uninstall the 5.1.3 release so that the apt-get version can take effect?

Probably the same way you installed it in first place, or delete /usr/ local/bin/lua by hand.