"Peter Jacobi" <pjacobi.de@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Abstracting from the post which started this thread, the usefull
> question I see here, is, whether some package, as provided from
> ActiveState or Enthought for other languages, would make sense for
> Lua.
>
> I personally doubt this to a large extent, due to different focus and
> target audience of Lua, but of course it would be worth a try, if
> anybody wants to invest his time into this.

Don't the distribution channels in this case define the target audience?

And shouldn't (and couldn't) it be the other way round?

When I started with Lua, about 18 months ago, I had more than a decade
of Perl and a smattering of Python behind me. I'd written my first C
program sometime in the '80s and I know what a linker is. And yet I had
trouble getting the thing off the ground. Mind you, that was on a
Windows platform, of all things...:)

Okay, so I finally succeeded (and learned a lot in the process) but the
whole experience could've been a lot smoother. It's tempting to use the
OP's arrogant stance as an easy excuse for dismissing his post which
IMHO indicates there's a lesson waiting to be learned.

Either one is elitist, which as a policy decision is fair enough, or one
tries to have a broad appeal. Having it both ways is difficult.

--
cheers  thomasl

web: http://thomaslauer.com/start