I agree.. From reading this thread (tedious as it was, but I'm in a hotel, so what else am I supposed to do), my only advice to the initial poster is to brace yourself, because programming isn't really related to any one specific language, it's an artform, and at the core of that artform is the ability to solve problems above all else, and to dig up the needed information. As for starting programming for the very first time, I don't really have any advice, as I sortof brute-forced myself through it at as a junior on my c64. I had no major issues learning lua, or any other language I've used, and I'm confident that I could pick up just about any language and not have too many problems with it, but I can't say I might enjoy it. On a personal level I tend to focus on the languages that more closely correlate to the way I'd like my art'n'logic expressed, so the way I see it, you just happened to reach for a pencil when you should have reached for a paint roller.. I'm also quite sure that if you keep learning programming (and the fundamentals of development) and try lua again in 6 months or so, I'm pretty positive you'll end up with one of the greatest and best sensations life has to offer, which would be the combination of a palm slapping your forehead and what Samuel L Jackson referred to as 'a moment of clarity'....

Gerhard Sittig wrote:
[ quick summary since the message got a little longer:
  somewhat on topic: do we want a "thinkCS" book for Lua? (see below) ]