On Mar 23, 2014, at 2:13 AM, Enrico Colombini <erix@erix.it> wrote:

> On 23/03/2014 8.47, steve donovan wrote:
>> I've got more tolerance for big files than most (e.g. Lake as a single
>> 3.5Kloc script) perhaps because I use bookmarks.
>
> My personal break-up point is at about 500 lines (including about 30-40% of comments and whitespace).
> Not a hard rule, but I like strict encapsulation with as few inter-module connections as possible.
>
> --
>  Enrico

I don’t worry so much about the line count more where the “natural” boundaries of a functional module live. I’ve had modules that have quite a few thousand lines but present a nice compact clean interface, and others that are only a few dozen lines.

I think the best argument against header files is to just invite someone to inspect the standard C ones for a few minutes and try to figure out what is going on.

—Tim