On 22/03/2014 16.45, steve donovan wrote:
The search for a new language continues...)

I've mostly given up the search [1] because of the law of diminishing returns: often the complexity of the solution tends to become higher than the complexity of the problem, especially when the solution is continually changing.

A sad fact is that most problems do not actually require very sophisticated tools: many existing languages would do. Not to forget Frederick P. Brooks' wisdom: there is no silver bullet. It was true in his times, it is even more now.

So now I tend to learn yet another language only when I have a significant advantage in using it, or a specific need, or the language is truly original.
Learning languages is fun, but solving problems is useful ;-)

[1] I lied: I just put Rust on my list as a result of this interesting discussion :-)

--
  Enrico