Reading the thread it does sound like bike shedding. As a Lua user I hope it never becomes victim of a "democratic" process with random votes about features with people lobbying for their opinions by taking as much space as possible on mailing lists. I would hope there is a small group of people that has the final decisions on the course the language takes. In Sweden we say something like "The more chefs, the more mess"...

Saying that, taking in opinions and comments from the community sounds like something that should be self-evident surely. I am amazed by the arrogance of Mike Pall's comment. Is he saying that the shape of the language and the way it's developing is irrelevant, or simply that the opinions of others are irrelevant and embarrasses him?

Regards,
Fredrik

Från: lua-l-bounces@lists.lua.org [lua-l-bounces@lists.lua.org] för steve donovan [steve.j.donovan@gmail.com]
Skickat: den 18 juni 2011 12:00
Till: Lua mailing list
Ämne: Re: [ANN] Lua 5.2.0 (beta-rc1) goto syntax

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Mike Pall <mikelu-1106@mike.de> wrote:
> [All this idle and completely pointless talk about syntax here --
> it's shocking to see how much this mailing list has deteriorated.
> It's embarrassing that I have to respond in this thread at all.]

Indeed, I really don't see any problem with the current proposal. The
label syntax is sufficiently distinct that it can be made to stand out
in source, and it serves its need.

It does feel like bike-shedding. There are so many more important
things to discuss about this new revision of the language.

steve d.