On 18 February 2011 12:21, Leo Razoumov <slonik.az@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 07:10, T T <t34www@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I did mention that it cost you an arm and both legs ;)  That's one of
>> the reasons I'm looking now at Python as a replacement for it.
>>

> I would think LuaJIT2+FFI would be a better choice but, unfortunately,
> SciPy is further down the road and attracts more attention.

>From the performance POV, yes LuaJIT2+FFI would be better, but that's
not what counts most for MATLAB's niche.  And that would be (in the
order of decreasing importance):

1) what my peers use (aka. who's been there first)
2) are the tools specific to my field (aka. kitchen and sink toolboxes/modules)
3) how good is documentation
4) how well integrated and coherent are development tools (aka. good IDE)
5) performance, extensibility, flexibility, etc., etc.

Of course this may vary from person to person (e.g., I put
documentation very high), but I doubt that performance would be near
the top in any significant percentage (all based on unquantifiable
observations and gut feeling, so make of it what you will :)

Cheers,

Tomek