On 16/12/2009, at 1:37 AM, Francesco Abbate wrote:

> 2009/12/15 Jacques Chester <jacques@chester.id.au>:
>>> 2- provide a good set of libraries for most common and not-so-common
>>>  programming tasks
>>
>> This one is largely a function of the size of the community.
>
> One common belief is that given a big enough community it will produce
> automagically "good software". I believe that, in order to have a good
> library that cover a reasonable domain of functionalities with a good
> design and orthogonality you need the coordination of a small group of
> people that gives directives for the developments and check the
> quality of the proposed interfaces and of the code itself.

I suppose I should have been clearer. Not all software produced
by a large community will be good. A great deal of it will be
mediocre. But I am prepared to live with mediocrity if it saves me
a lot of time reinventing some wheel.

It's possible that I've been polluted by frequent exposure to PHP,
MySQL and Wordpress.

Cheers,

JC.