2009/12/15 steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Eike Decker <zet23t@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Shortcoming? PHP IS a shortcoming. I should know, I am working with it
>> regularly and there are a lot of weird behaviors. I mean, take this:
>
> It must do _something_ right otherwise it wouldn't be so widely used,
> or am I being naive?
>
> To bring the thread vaguely back to Lua, what libraries does Lua need
> to fill the PHP role?

Lua is certainly better than PHP as scripting language but in order to
replace PHP for server side programming you should:
1- implement a *secure* and *reliable* Apache module for Lua
server-side scripting
2- provide a good set of libraries for most common and not-so-common
  programming tasks
3- convince the Web programmer to adopt Lua instead of PHP

Talking about point 1, you just need a good team determined enough to
achieve this job. I believe that shouldn't be that difficult.

Talking about point 2, I don't know but I've got the idea that Lua
does not have a really good set of libraries. Python is the best for
this and far better than Lua. PHP is not at the level of Python but it
is also well equipped.

Francesco