On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Tobias Kieslich <tobias@justdreams.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Francesco Abbate wrote:
>> One common belief is that given a big enough community it will produce
>> automagically "good software". I believe that, in order to have a good
>> library that cover a reasonable domain of functionalities with a good
>> design and orthogonality you need the coordination of a small group of
>> people that gives directives for the developments and check the
>> quality of the proposed interfaces and of the code itself.
>
> Looking at PEAR stuff you have the domain of functionality, but most of
> the code is awful.

Being the developer of PEAR's HTML_QuickForm, HTML_Table,
Event_Dispatcher and a few others, I don't find my code so bad...
HTML_Table is almost 9 years old and it's still being downloaded 4000
times per month, QuickForm is downloaded 50000 times on every release.
So I guess others don't find all code in PEAR as awful as you do :) I
personally find it useful and, while not perfect, in most cases it
improves my productivity or give good examples when you want to build
your own modules.

Lua is just missing essential stable libraries for XML, SQL, I18N,
multibyte strings, etc. Apart from that, it's already ok for web
development.

--
Bertrand Mansion
Mamasam