2009/12/15 Jacques Chester <jacques@chester.id.au>:
>> 2- provide a good set of libraries for most common and not-so-common
>>  programming tasks
>
> This one is largely a function of the size of the community.

One common belief is that given a big enough community it will produce
automagically "good software". I believe that, in order to have a good
library that cover a reasonable domain of functionalities with a good
design and orthogonality you need the coordination of a small group of
people that gives directives for the developments and check the
quality of the proposed interfaces and of the code itself.

You need also a strong commitment to develop some functionalities that
are less funny to develop but are nevertheless useful. Typically the
programmers will tend to develop some modules because they are more
funny and they will neglect other because are boring.

Francesco