On Aug 11, 2009, at 6:10 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Mark Hamburg wrote:
On Aug 10, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

What tracing JITs are there other than TraceMonkey and LuaJIT2?

TraceMonkey is the poster child for tracing JITs at this point, I think, and V8 is generally reported to be faster. I don't know what the status is on
Tamarind Tracing.

Oh yes, I forgot about Tamarin which (IIRC) was an ancestor of
TraceMonkey developed by Adobe for ActionScript.

AFAIK V8 isn't a trace JIT: it has a Self-style backend.

Correct V8 does fairly straightforward code generation. The point is that it seems to be outpacing Trace Monkey. (That said, I haven't seen any definitive benchmarks.)

Mark