I am in the early stages of deciding on a fast scripting language for a new C++ project and obviously Lua is a candidate.  When I say fast I mean fast so we’d probably be using LuaJIT as opposed to interpreted Lua.

Does anyone know a performance comparison of JIT’ed Lua versus something like V8 _javascript_?  Lua has the reputation as the fastest scripting language (in fact that’s how I came across it) but does the JIT compiler used in modern _javascript_ implementations like V8 greatly narrow the performance gap?  _javascript_ is clearly a much more comprehensive and complex language so I would be surprised if it could be executed faster than Lua but it’s the speed that we really need over language features.

Thanks,

-JCT