Alexander Gladysh wrote:
> You've said there is no ETA yet for x86, but, perhaps, you may share
> some information on the amount of work left to do?

Well, I'm already cutting corners everywhere wrt. features for the
first alpha. But issues with correctness and completeness keep me
busy (the coordination between the JIT code and the GC is currently
a minefield). And the code needs to be cleaned up a lot before it's
ready for public consumption. Then I'll need to work on the
packaging, the docs, the web site reorganization and so on ...

Thankfully I've recently removed the last major stumbling block
(better trace linking) and the benchmark results demonstrate that
going for a trace compiler was a sound design decision after all.

But I have to say it was an expensive decision: I've considerably
underestimated the amount of research and trial-and-error which
was needed to convert a research toy into a production compiler.
There are some important implementation details which the few
papers about trace compilers completely fail to mention ... :-|

--Mike