On Aug 9, 2009, at 6:33 PM, Mike Pall wrote:

Thankfully I've recently removed the last major stumbling block
(better trace linking) and the benchmark results demonstrate that
going for a trace compiler was a sound design decision after all.

But I have to say it was an expensive decision: I've considerably
underestimated the amount of research and trial-and-error which
was needed to convert a research toy into a production compiler.
There are some important implementation details which the few
papers about trace compilers completely fail to mention ... :-|

It will be interesting to see your results. I've talked to people doing dynamic language implementations who've observed that the tracing JITs haven't been faring as well as their initial hype suggested particularly in the JavaScript world.

Mark