Well, another common problem in Win32 is that, AFAIK, on Win9x
uninitialized data (pointers, tables) has random values while on WinNT+,
they are set to 0.

Eh? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "uninitialized data" in this case, but as far as heap memory is concerned: I'd say that whether it's zeroed or not is only determined by the particular memory manager you're using.

And I've never heard of  memory managers that behave differently [to this extent] depending on the OS an application is running on. Having said that, several heap managers have (compile-time) options to zero allocated memory for you.

This cause applications behave correctly on WinNT+ and crash on Win9x...

There are lots of reasons why application behaviour could differ between various Windows versions, but - once again - I'd doubt that using memory through a C runtime library would be one of them.

Ashwin.
--
no signature is a signature.