LuaDirectory > LuaAddons > Lua
This is a list of Lua distributions. These typically consist of Lua plus libraries, often for a certain platform (e.g. POSIX or Windows-specific) and often in binary form (but may have sources too).
For vanilla Lua binaries (without add-ons) compiled for various platforms, see LuaBinaries. For alternative Lua compilers and Lua VM implementations, see LuaImplementations.
Please do not reference minor Lua version numbers in entries. That detail is not important here and only necessitates more maintenance of this page.
- Cross-platform / Multiplatform
- LuaRocks - the package manager for Lua modules, including network fetch, automated build, installation, and management (like Pip for Python, RubyGems? for Ruby, npm for Node.js, CPAN for Perl, etc.)
- LuaDist (5.1) - unlike LuaRocks, the main focus of LuaDist is full automation and standalone deployment including the management of external libraries on the Linux (*nix), Windows and Mac platforms. Most source modules are in [cmake] format and can also be built outside of LuaDist. It does not modify Lua
require, so it supports only single versions of modules (multiple deployment directories are encouraged to handle multiple versions). See also [discussions on LuaRocks list] and LuaBuildSystems.
- [LuaAIO] (5.1) - fast and easy Lua All-In-One distribution for Windows and Linux (planned for MacOS). Provides OS integrated functionalities and many external libraries. Supplied with SDK, exhaustive documentation, and a test suite.
- [MurgaLua] (5.1) - a complete Lua runtime in a single 500kb file for Windows, Linux, and MacOSX, bundled with LuaFltk?, LuaSocket?, LuaSQLite, LuaFileSystem and Copas. Supplied with the [FLUID] GUI builder.
- [wxLua] (5.1) - distributed as a standalone scripting runtime as well as a Lua extension module package. Renders cross-platform native-looking GUI widgets along with sockets, streams, printing, clipboard access, etc.
- [LuaX] (5.0) - Lua with eXtensions, development platform for creating multi-OS Lua applications (with GUI, serial port etc. modules) especially suitable for industrial automation and embedded products. (deprecated)
- [LuaCheia] (5.0) - Lua 5.0 for GNU/Linux, Mac/OS X, Windows, *BSD, Solaris, etc. Includes many add-on binary modules. (no longer maintained)
- [AKFAvatar] (5.2) - a graphical text-oriented user interface with an avatar - for GNU/Linux, Windows and others
- [luapower] (LuaJIT, Lua 5.1) - LuaJIT distribution for Windows, Linux, and OSX. Self-contained portable tree, git-based deployment, C sources, build scripts and binaries included.
- [ULua] (LuaJIT, Lua 5.1) - A Lua distribution for Windows, OSX and Linux (x86 and x64) based on LuaJIT. Binary packages, no compiler required. More than 300 packages from LuaRocks updated daily.
- [Lua for Windows], "LfW" (5.1) - 'Batteries included environment' for the Lua scripting language on Windows. Includes installer, interpreter/compiler, libraries, documentation, examples, and text editors.
- [LuaPlus] (5.1) - implements some syntax, core and API enhancements (wide character string, enhanced metatables, custom memory allocators). Provides many Lua modules and tools, features remote Lua debugger, .NET wrapper, MSVC/VS.NET plug-ins.
- [Lua Windows Service] (5.1) - Lua binary hosted in a Windows Service framework, allowing development of Windows Services in Lua. Still in alpha release, but should be complete enough to be useful.
- [Winsh.lua] (5.2) - Stand-alone Lua runtime for Windows with the ability to embed scripts in resources, hook scripts to Windows messages and in-depth libraries for Windows Shell scripting.
- [Lua+sqlite3+lfs] (5.3) - Stand-alone Lua v5.3.4 for Windows with built-in lsqlite (as sqlite3), lfs and SQLite3 v3.18.0
- Mac OS
- [RPMs for Lua] (5.1) - from Rpmfind.Net.
- [Debian packages] (5.1) - Lua, libraries/modules, and Lua-related software for Debian Linux.
- [Lua for Slackware] (5.1) - Lua packages for Slackware Linux.
- [Lua+sqlite3+lfs] (5.3) - Stand-alone Lua v5.3.4 for Linux i386 with built-in lsqlite (as sqlite3), lfs and SQLite3 v3.18.0
- Look up also your distribution repository.
- Sony consoles
- Nintendo consoles
- Windows CE - Pocket PC / Windows Mobile
- [LuaCE] (5.3.3) - Lua 5.3.3 for Windows CE
- [LuaCE] (5.1) - Lua 5.1 for Windows CE
- [LuaCE] (5.0) Note: link dead 14/10/13 - additional source files for compiling Lua for Windows CE. (dead link)
- [Lua5.1-CE] (5.1) - Lua for WinCE. Tool: EVC4. OS: WinCE 4.2. (built using LuaCE above)
- [LuaPPC] (5.0) - stand-alone Lua interpreter for the Pocket PC. (built using LuaCE above) (link broken)
- [LuaPocket] (5.0) - stand-alone Lua interpreter for the Pocket PC with graphic support. (built using LuaPPC above)
- Apple iOS - iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad
- [xyLua] (5.2) A simple and free lua ide for iPad.
- [Corona] (5.1) - a commercial SDK for writing iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and Android apps in Lua.
- [Codea] - A Lua app mainly for creating things that require graphics (I'm assuming) for iPad.
- [Touch Lua] - A Lua app for iPod (free) Touch Lua+ available for iPad (not free).
- [iLuaBox] (5.2) - A commercial product hosting Lua on the iPad and iPhone, allows editing and execution of scripts directly on the device.
- [Simply Lua] (5.3) - A commercial product hosting Lua on the iPad, allows editing and execution of scripts directly on the device.
- Google Android
- [jnlua-android] Stable jnlua and Lua port for Android with JSR 223 (javax.script) interface by Danke Xie. It allows Android applications to execute Lua scripts and access Java objects.
- [Android Scripting Environment] (5.1) - allows to edit and execute scripts and interactive interpreters directly on the Android device. Supports Lua, Python, JRuby, Java
Script, Perl, Tcl, and others.
- See also Corona SDK above.
- [AndroLua] (5.1) by Michal Kottman, that provides Lua and [LuaJava] on Android and then lets you access to the Android API.
- [LuaWebAppServer] (5.1) by DADBIZ, that provides Lua, Mongoose, sqlite3, mixlua on Android, also a [win32 version is available].
- Palm OS
- Symbian OS
- [LuaBREW] (5.1) Note: link dead 14/10/13 - a port of Lua for the Qualcomm's BREW platform.
- RISC OS
- Embedded systems
- [LSP] (5.2) - Lua Server Pages is a commercial product from Real Time Logic. LSP focuses on M2M and H2M (Human To Machine) interfaces. LSP is available for many commercial Real Time Operating Systems such as VxWorks?, INTEGRITY, ThreadX, etc..
- [pbLua] (5.2) - Lua for Lego Mindstorms NXT platform.
- [Lua89] (5.0) - experimental port of Lua to the TI89 graphing calculator.
- [eLua] (5.1) - a small Lua runtime for microcontrollers with special consideration for limited performance and low level hardware access. [Large & growing number of architectures and platforms supported.]
- [Lua on Nut/OS] (5.1) - a reduced Lua implementation, which even runs on 8-bit micros.
- [LuCI] (5.1) Note: link dead 14/10/13 - a collection of free Lua software for embedded devices. Also supplied as a part of [OpenWrt] firmware (which is actually a Linux for embedded systems).
- [vxLuaGlue] (5.0/5.1/5.2) - a simple glue layer between the software running on [VxWorks] [RT OS] and the Lua scripting engine.
- [Lua on eCos] (5.0) - port of Lua to the eCos embedded operating system (links near end of page).
- [BLua] (5.1) Note: link dead 14/10/13 - "bloated" lua, cgi-based patch merger for most common LuaPowerPatches against current Lua.
RecentChanges · preferences
edit · history
Last edited April 1, 2017 10:04 pm GMT (diff)