On 10 December 2012 17:09, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>> [...] However for anything done by someone not from
>> the team, the result pails into insignificance by your actions and
>> words.
>
> First, there are three people in the team, and ~2500 subscribers to
> this list. So, even if the action of each subscriber was 1/100 of
> any of our actions (which is not true), the collective action could
> be much stronger than ours.

Well I think we will never know although I did ask "Is the community
doing enough to promote Lua?" To which the answer seems to be yes
judging from the majority of the replies so far.

> Second, people outside the team can give extreme contributions. As an
> example, a single remark made by Bret Mogilefsky in a GDC roundtable
> many years ago was a significant factor in the spread of lua in the
> game community and ultimately to other areas.

Very true and Lua is now quite well known in the game development
community yet is it ironic that I first heard of this in a paper you
co-authored[1] and has been linked to many times ?

> Of course, a more fundamental contribution was his adoption of Lua in
> the first place. Similarly, the adoption of Lua in LuaTeX, Wikipedia,
> WoW, Lightroom,

Yes, but these are not 'someone' ie individuals yet mostly massive
organisations.

> and other projects are much more important than anything
> I can say on youtube. I think most presentations in the workshop were
> certainly much stronger arguments in favor of Lua than mine.
>
> -- Roberto

And yet I refer back to which of the presentations currently, and I
also assume will in the future, have the most views.

It is OK, I realise a fifty foot wall when I see one.

[1] http://www.lua.org/doc/hopl.pdf

--Liam