On 12/9/2012 1:11 PM, liam mail wrote:
On 9 December 2012 06:27, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Henk Boom <henk@henk.ca> wrote:
Maybe try crossposting to r/programming?

Nice one on the proggit front page today:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/14ip2d/pushing_nginx_to_its_limit_with_lua/

steve d.

Yes I did x-post to /r/programming yet unfortunately that post
immediately got down voted :(

To me it seems that not very many people in the Lua community want Lua
to gain a wider appeal, even Roberto's shrug of his shoulders and
comment in the Workshop seems to me to indicate this. If I just pick
some figures out of the air for a moment.
1500 /r/lua members
2000 lua-l members
lets say 10% of lua-l members have reddit accounts and the same 10%
have hackernews accounts.

Is the community doing enough to promote Lua?
Personally I up vote pretty much anything on /r/lua, Hackernews etc
which talks or links to Lua.

In many case Lua is (cf. its intention) part of something else. I can only speak for luatex, but I'm pretty sure that by now quite some tex users are aware of Lua but you won't find them on this list or reddit or whatever but on tex related lists. That's also where they discuss Lua related issues. In the journals of tex user groups there have been (and will be) articles mentioning / showing lua, at user group meetings and conferences there are talks about it, on support lists it's discusses, in distributions it's used, etc.

Personally I don't give much about these popularity polls (and I wonder if these internet polls can be trusted anyway). It's like politics: is the one getting most votes also the best?

I really like the pace of development of Lua as well as the professionality of the dev team. For me that's worth more than the language ending up high on some list. The team makes me feel that we've chosen the right language, I don't need to look at popularity contest for that.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE