On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy
<roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> Of course, a more fundamental contribution was his adoption of Lua in
> the first place. Similarly, the adoption of Lua in LuaTeX, Wikipedia,
> WoW, Lightroom, and other projects are much more important than anything
> I can say on youtube. I think most presentations in the workshop were
> certainly much stronger arguments in favor of Lua than mine.

100% agreed on that. The best way to improve the popularity of Lua is
to play its main strength over other dynamic languages: its
embeddability.

You can add nginx (a HTTP server, already mentioned above) and Redis
(a key/value DB that uses Lua for remote procedures) to your list.
Both are very popular in the Web dev world.

There's also a PostgreSQL plugin (PL/Lua), but, sadly, it hasn't been
updated in years, and I don't know if it still works with the current
version (http://pllua.projects.pgfoundry.org/,
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PL_Matrix).

Now, convincing people that they need an embedded scripting language
is all about politics and influence...

-- Pierre-Yves