Hi,

As Steve mentions, there is a documentation language[1] as part of Koneki LDT [2] that, in addition to enable LuaDoc style documentation in the IDE, is also used to provide code assistance.

The documentation can be written in Lua source files, but there is also a  way to reference pre-packaged documentation in the IDE. We call these packages "Execution Environments"[3].
You may want to play with the IDE and see if the  documentation language matches your needs (we provide the EE of Lua 5.1 and Gideros Mobile[4], and there is also the documentation for Love2D [5]).
The language parser is in pure Lua and open source, available in Koneki LDT's repo.

We are definitely looking forward to getting feedback on this and collaborate with others to improve tooling for Lua.

Kevin

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Koneki/LDT/Technical_Documentation/Documentation_Language
[2] http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt
[3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Koneki/LDT/User_Guide#Execution_Environment