Hi Geoff,

> Just downloaded and had a play with the latest version. The new features are
> great, better than I was anticipating. Most of the time now I dont even need

Glad you liked it.

> 1) When you add a watch value, its fine for simple variables, but if you add
> a table that has more than a few elements you cant see the later ones as the
> watch seems to be restricted to a single line with no word wrap.  You can
> view it in the console window to see the later elements but of course that
> isnt a live update. Be nice to make the watch window text wrap.

This will probably go into "won't fix" category. I think between
supporting hierarchical data in the Stack view, the pretty printing in
console (with one- and multi-line support) and the Watch view I don't
want to make it more complicated. You can always try to make the
window longer to accommodate large elements, or display individual
elements.

> display. I am guessing that 0x95 isnt a valid sequence for UTF8 but Scite
> handled it nicely and just displayed 95 in inverse video and the remaining
> text correctly.
> Its not a big deal as it only took me a minute or two to track down the
> offending characters, but if its an easy fix might be worth you looking at ?

It is something that is already supported with IOFilters, but the
problem is that if configured it will be applied to all loaded files.
There are several existing filters in iofilters.lua; I'm thinking
about comparing the number of lines in the file and the editor and if
they don't match applying the UTF filter to (potentially) fix the
content. This SO answer may provide some useful information
(http://stackoverflow.com/a/6625625/1442917); I'll see how this can be
handled.

>> The next (packaged) version is not planned earlier than the end of
>> September.
> Apart from taking a rest :),

No rest, but I'm not going to release a package a new version more
frequently than any other week as the number of systems and
configurations I'm supporting is growing and they all need to be
tested.

> I wonder what your next preferred area is for future enhancements ?

I'm not a big fan of making announcement until things are ready, but
here is a quick summary of changes planned for the next version. I'm
almost done with the Linux version and a packaging mechanism for it;
the Mac version has been checked in already (along with the packaging
script), so all three versions will be running from the same repo
checkout.

Other areas are: auto-save/recover, integrated profiler, enhanced file
search/navigation, and improving auto-complete logic.

> From my point of view, it would be nice to enhance the way the custom API
> intellisense works. I wanted to be able to add text completion for my custom
> API functions and also a feature to show the parameter help for the custom
> functions. I know you mentioned a while back that you can already do that,
> but I couldnt figure out how to do it. So thinking out loud on options here

Of all the areas, this one seems to be less likely to happen this
month and to be the most challenging. It is possible to extend
auto-complete to cover custom functions, but I'm looking for a good
way to make something like love.audio.getOrientation() (which works
now) to work when someone does a = love.audio; a.getOrientation(). It
sort of works now because of partial matching that is done when you
start typing "get", but it means that all functions that auto-complete
knows about that start from "get" will be presented. This is good
enough for most cases, but I'd like to make it a bit better.

> b) Make it simpler more like Scite where its just a simple standalone text
> file that has the user customisations in it

This is already supported; there are several api files in the api/lua
folder that define various APIs (love2d is one of them). You can check
the structure and define your own if you want. To load the file you
simply list it in your interpreter (for example, the default lua
interpreter does this: api = {"wxwidgets","baselib"}).

I've been thinking about using metalua to parse the source and/or to
use LuaDoc format to get parameter/return values and descriptions, but
I'm open to suggestions.

Paul.