On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Axel Kittenberger <axkibe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The library could easily let you use your own event system by giving
>> you access to its descriptors along with a method to indicate when a
>> set becomes hot. Even better with epoll at least, you can epoll on an
>> epoll descriptor, so the library could maintain its own descriptors
>> and give you access to its master descriptor which you could then poll
>> independently. Both these methods could be supported with a single
>> API.
>
> Thats the point what libuv does. Isn't it?
>
>> Not sure how well this would adapt to weirder schemes like IOCP or
>> more basic schemes like select but to me at least it's the only way to
>> intelligently join two or more event based libraries without ending up
>> with a busy loop bouncing around between multiple event notification
>> systems.
>
> Well have one event handler library then. Libuv.

Having one doesn't really help because everyone has different needs,
you need to support arbitrary event handling systems as part of your
library's API.

As far as I'm concerned most of these things shouldn't even come with
their own event solution, however that's likely an unpopular view
because people like things to work out of the one big box, regardless
of how useful that actually is in the long run.