On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 20:17, KHMan <keinhong@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/2010 10:13 AM, Patrick Mc(avery wrote:
>>
>> On 12/30/2010 09:04 PM, KHMan wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>> [snip]
>> I do think its a good idea to have someone heading this up or a
>> wiki with a set of guidelines. One thing I have learned is that
>> even the very bright people on this list cannot always agree on
>> how things ought to be done. If one person stands up to do it
>> alone, I doubt their work will be accepted, without that work
>> having been carried out in a somewhat pre-agreed to manner.
>
> To clarify, I think continuing the discussion even for 1,000 postings is
> fine, since it's discussing ideas and proposals. I look forward to reading
> them... :-)
>
> But thinking up an "approved" proposal and implement it and expecting the
> market to swoon is really too smooth-sailing. I don't believe in anointed
> widgets -- it has to earn its place after being put into practice. No such
> thing as a guaranteed result.
>
> Complications may arise during implementation. Users who championed it may
> find that practical application of the thing is different. When I look at
> all the proposals dished about, especially the more adventurous ones, I
> think I want to see how they work in the wild first.
>
> I think a working implementation is a Good Thing, some of us will grab it
> and run benchmarks etc. Without an implementation, we are still in
> discussion mode. Working source code is a tangible -- something solid that
> is harder to shoot away in a discussion. It may not ever go into the
> canonical sources, but it may find some adoption in the market even if it is
> not universally loved. That is, I think, a good "win" as any.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
> Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The idea of hosting library modules on a wiki is intriguing. You have
the actual code files requiring some manner of permission to edit, and
then discussion pages where people can suggest changes; people can
submit their modules and edit them... potentially one could hack
require() to check for and download new versions automatically if they
wanted to be totally bleeding-edge.

--
Sent from my toaster.