On 12/31/2010 10:13 AM, Patrick Mc(avery wrote:
On 12/30/2010 09:04 PM, KHMan wrote:
[snip]
[snip]
I do think its a good idea to have someone heading this up or a
wiki with a set of guidelines. One thing I have learned is that
even the very bright people on this list cannot always agree on
how things ought to be done. If one person stands up to do it
alone, I doubt their work will be accepted, without that work
having been carried out in a somewhat pre-agreed to manner.

To clarify, I think continuing the discussion even for 1,000 postings is fine, since it's discussing ideas and proposals. I look forward to reading them... :-)

But thinking up an "approved" proposal and implement it and expecting the market to swoon is really too smooth-sailing. I don't believe in anointed widgets -- it has to earn its place after being put into practice. No such thing as a guaranteed result.

Complications may arise during implementation. Users who championed it may find that practical application of the thing is different. When I look at all the proposals dished about, especially the more adventurous ones, I think I want to see how they work in the wild first.

I think a working implementation is a Good Thing, some of us will grab it and run benchmarks etc. Without an implementation, we are still in discussion mode. Working source code is a tangible -- something solid that is harder to shoot away in a discussion. It may not ever go into the canonical sources, but it may find some adoption in the market even if it is not universally loved. That is, I think, a good "win" as any.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)