Hey, wait, while I do agree that Nate is probably being a bit of a
curmudgeon, I still would like to hear what people have to say about
how I could give a good introduction to programming for this kid.
While I am not a professional programmer myself, I think I have seen
enough of other people's code and written enough code of my own that I
can tell what is good and bad. But hey, that is not the point. I have
also been told by a friend of mine who is a professional that some of
my code looks better than much of the stuff that he has seen from
other "older" (more experienced) programmers he has worked with. OK,
but this really has nothing to do with anything about Lua.

I just think that Lua is a simple enough language, that does have some
"gotchas" in it, but I do agree that some of those things can be
avoided when teaching someone, only to introduce those things later
when they are ready to move forward.

I am very interested in hearing more about pbLua, mostly because this
13 yo already has the Lego stuff. While I have only seen a bit of the
development environment that comes with the NXT stuff, it does seem
like it is geared towards doing some restrictive kinds of things (I
could be wrong). But I am interested in seeing what pdLua can do.

I am also interested in talking about what Project Butia can do, as I
am interested in trying to build some Arduino devices myself.

I would appreciate it if people could NOT consider this thread closed,
as I would like to get back to discussing those things I mentioned
above.

Thanks,

Mike