Everett L Williams II wrote:
Mike,

Start him on Logo. It is not a children's language any more, and it was specifically designed for simple robotics, certainly in the virtual mode, but also in the real. I would not start my worst enemy on a functional language like lua, however much I may like it myself.

I'll take issue with that by noting that the parent or mentor is
really in control of how much of the language is exposed to the student.

You don't have to use the functional aspects of Lua to get good use
out of it.

I've successfully taught my sons and nephews (if they were interested)
some very basic robotics using pbLua.

Ralph