On Sun, 25 Jul 2010, Matthew Wild wrote:
>Everett L Williams II wrote:
>>
>> Start him on Logo. It is not a children's language any more, and it was
>> specifically designed for simple robotics, certainly in the virtual
>> mode, but also in the real. I would not start my worst enemy on a
>> functional language like lua, however much I may like it myself.

Logo is also a functional language, albeit old fashioned. (It's quite
similar to traditional lisp in its distinction between variables and
procedures and its dynamic scope.)

> Sure, Logo gives a nice introduction to the *concept* of programming,
> and it's fun to see children realising that yes - they can actually be
> in control of the computer/robot, and it's not hard. But someone
> wanting to actually take up programming is long past that point
> already.

Logo is a serious programming language. Don't be prejudiced by the way it
has been targeted.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
VIKING: WESTERLY OR NORTHWESTERLY, BACKING SOUTHERLY FOR A TIME, 3 OR 4,