Mike,

Start him on Logo. It is not a children's language any more, and it was specifically designed for simple robotics, certainly in the virtual mode, but also in the real. I would not start my worst enemy on a functional language like lua, however much I may like it myself. As I have noted before, lua is subtle in ways that can be difficult to explain by the experts who use it daily. I understand that those who use lua as a script language avoid most of that, but you can almost hear the screaming when they step into one of those areas. Once Logo is mastered, then think about lua scripting, and then full blown lua.

Everett L.(Rett) Williams II