> Also, pkg-config is not universal. I would have thought that this is a
> job for the upstream packagers.

You mean downstream packagers, right? (I understand that the most upstream
packager is us, Lua.org.)

But yes, that's one of my points: pkg-config is not a universal standard
and it's not simple to install .pc files in standard places, but it is
simple for downstream packagers.

So, at the best I think we can provide a template at etc/lua.pc, but with
no code to install it in proper places or to ensure it's consistent with
where Lua is installed. (Hence my impression that such a lua.pc is less
than useful then.)