On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> Also, pkg-config is not universal. I would have thought that this is a
> job for the upstream packagers.

You mean downstream packagers, right? (I understand that the most upstream
packager is us, Lua.org.)

But yes, that's one of my points: pkg-config is not a universal standard

make is not a universal standard. (jam, scons, etc...) but it is widely used. Like pc files.

and it's not simple to install .pc files in standard places, but it is
simple for downstream packagers.

I still don't understand why it is complicated for you. And, anyway, there is a PKG_CONFIG_PATH env var that can be set by the user to find .pc files.

Also, to be more precise, here is how pkg-config searches the .pc files:

1) if $prefix (the one given when configuring the pkg-config tool) is not set, paths are (in order of preference) : $lbdir/pkgconfig, $datadir/pkgconfig, /usr/lib/pkgconfig and /usr/share/pkconfig

2) otherwise, paths are : $lbdir/pkgconfig and $datadir/pkgconfig

So, at the best I think we can provide a template at etc/lua.pc, but with
no code to install it in proper places or to ensure it's consistent with
where Lua is installed. (Hence my impression that such a lua.pc is less
than useful then.)

do what most of the packages do out there, that is do what i described in my previous answer : "or to ensure it's consistent with where Lua is installed". But, at least, providing lua.pc file in etc/ is better than nothing, and is useful for downstream packagers, contrary to what you think.

Vincent Torri