> The .pc file is still missing. I know that lua developpers mentioned the
> uber-stupid argument "we remove all the files that we consider as not needed
> in the tarball". But more importantly, you are breaking the build of *all*
> the libraries / programs that use lua and the .pc file. Doing so means that
> you absolutely don't care about the lua *users*.
>
> Also, in case you didn't remark, we are in 2010. Even the embedded devices
> can deal with a tarball of 223.1KB instead of 223KB.

I'm sorry you think we're stupid and that we do not care about users (we do!)
but it's not a question of size: it's the maintenance effort required.

Even the simple lua.pc below raises some questions that I'd rather not have
to deal with:

- where should this file be installed?
	/usr/lib/pkgconfig, /usr/share/pkgconfig, elsewhere?

- what should go into the file?
	hardcoded libdir and includedir from the top-level Makefile?
	how does one ensure that these dirs are the same where Lua is
	installed?

These points can be dealt with of course, but it's not as trivial as it seems.
Given that downstream packagers will know where they want to install things,
they may as well generate the correct lua.pc without us having to guess and
they having to correct our guesses.
--lhf

# lua.pc -- pkg-config data for Lua

# make pc -f ../Makefile