Mike Pall wrote:
[...]
Umm, so one probably needs at least two different VMs for ARM (FP
vs. int-only). Then combine this with the options for ARM vs.
Thumb vs. Thumb2 code and with ARMv4-ARMv7 support and soon we'll
have an exponential number of targets to support ... *sigh*

Does LJ2 not use dual representation where numbers are promoted from integer to float as needed? I'd have thought (based on my minimal knowledge of trace compilers...) that this wouldn't be terribly hard and would allow, e.g., use of the integer ALU instructions where possible and only fall back to floats for those operations that needed it. Is the extra complexity not worth the speed boost in real life?

│
│ "They laughed at Newton. They laughed at Einstein. Of course, they
│ also laughed at Bozo the Clown." --- Carl Sagan