On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:39 PM, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
No.  What about "private" did you not understand?

I think we are not understanding each other. Keep reading and I think I got the idea by the end of this message.

git does not usually work with a separate repository.  It keeps the
history locally.

Yup. I get that.

Nonsense.  The "repository admin" never gets to see git.

I think you are telling me to use a strength of git to bring the Google Code hosted Subversion repository up on history, right?

Huh?  There is no Internet SVN repository of Lua where you could "get
the code".  The whole point of your request was that you wanted to
_create_ such a repository

Exactly.

Huh?  I am telling you to use git for creating and maintaining a SVN
repository and you ask my why this is better than using SVN?  You _will_
be using SVN with my proposal.

I have not used git before and I think you are talking to me like I know what git has to offer. I don't. So please bare with me as I learn.

git records only snapshots and reconstructs copies/moves from the
snapshots.  SVN records a whole copy/move history.  But you only have
isolated tarballs to start with, basically.  So in order to import your
stuff into SVN, you need to reconstruct this sort of history.  git is
good at doing that.  SVN has no tool for it.  So by passing your
snapshot tarballs through git on your local computer and then pushing
the resulting history with git svn dcommit into the Subversion
repository, Subversion gets to know what was copied/moved where when.

Without such a step, Subversion won't know when a file moved from one
place to another and won't tell you about the differences across the
move.

OK. Now I get what you are saying. So is there a guide I can read to tell me how to do such an action. I will do this locally and "push" the results to a Google Code hosted Subversion repository. Thanks for explaining your idea better. I will give this a shot, with a little help.
--
Regards,
Ryan