> It took 10 minutes with the current folder layout because everything was
> nicely separated into logical chunks (the src/*, src/lib/*, etc).
> Especially nice considering I'd never even looked at lua before, never
> mind knowing what the files are all there for.  Had it all been merged
> into one folder, I would have had to hunt through the makefile to figure
> out which bit corresponds to which bit.  That's pretty tedious (and time
> consuming ;)...

Would adding something like this to the Makefile help?

 % make prj
 *** core library -- liblua.a
 lapi.c lcode.c ldebug.c ldo.c ldump.c lfunc.c lgc.c llex.c lmem.c
 lobject.c lopcodes.c lparser.c lstate.c lstring.c ltable.c ltm.c lundump.c
 lvm.c lzio.c
 *** standard library -- liblualib.a
 lauxlib.c lbaselib.c ldblib.c liolib.c lmathlib.c loslib.c ltablib.c
 lstrlib.c loadlib.c linit.c
 *** Lua interpreter -- lua
 lua.c liblua.a liblualib.a
 *** Lua compiler -- luac
 luac.c print.c lauxlib.c liblua.a

The code used in the Makefile is attached.
--lhf

prj:
	@echo '*** core library -- $(CORE_T)'
	@echo $(CORE_O) | sed 's/\.o/.c/g' | fmt