Diego Nehab wrote:
I don't find it easier at all.  The opposite, for a library and
associated helper apps, actually: I much prefer to have the library
(src/*, src/lib/*) separate from helper apps (src/luac/*).  That way,
if I have to build a project file myself, I don't have to weed out
the extra files that aren't part of the library (print.c, lua.c).

But that is what a makefile is for. Since you won't have to polute your
makefile with rules to send object files to one directory, binaries to
another, and to draw source files from yet another, you can even use
implicit rules to build these binaries. That is, if you don't want to
add an extra one-line target to create each one of them.

I thought I'd jump in. I've been working getting Lua to run in a project entirely in DevStudio (with Lua 5.0.2). Because the lua libraries appeared to be using gnu make, I had to build our own DevStudio project file to build lua.lib and lualib.lib (easier than using nmake).

It took 10 minutes with the current folder layout because everything was nicely separated into logical chunks (the src/*, src/lib/*, etc). Especially nice considering I'd never even looked at lua before, never mind knowing what the files are all there for. Had it all been merged into one folder, I would have had to hunt through the makefile to figure out which bit corresponds to which bit. That's pretty tedious (and time consuming ;)...

- Mab