dyngeccetor8 <dyngeccetor8@disroot.org> wrote:

>>> Herman Charles Bosman's book "Cold Stone Jug", which describes itself
>>> as "a chronicle: being the unimpassioned record of a somewhat lengthy
>>> sojourn in prison", contains the following passage on p.162-163 of the
>>> 1969 edition:
>>>
>>> "The craze for culture and erudition reached its height, and its
>>> spiritual fulness, over the controversy about what was the difference
>>> between a quagga ana a zebra. Nobody knew who started that teaser. But
>>> in no time everybody took it very seriously. It was regarded as a mark
>>> of educational attainment to be able to recite straight out, word
>>> perfect, just as it was in the dictionary, the definition of,
>>> respectively, a zebra and a quagga. ... There were several
>>> dictionaries in the prison, a couple being kept in the library, and
>>> one in the printer's shop, and one in the office where they censored
>>> the letters. And it was noticed, after a while, that in each of these
>>> dictionaries there was a piece cut out on a page having a lot of words
>>> beginning with Q, and also a piece removed from a page where the words
>>> began with Z. ... And if you couldn't recite those two definitions off
>>> pat, no matter how you mispronounced the words, or how ignorant you
>>> were of their meaning, then you were regarded as a person with no
>>> educational attainments."
>>
>> I really don't understand what you are trying to say with this quote?
>>
>> ~Paige
>
> Maybe that it start to look like holy war for the One True Meaning of Fork?
>
> -- Martin

Perhaps he was. I am not trying to advocate a "One True Meaning", though I
guess it seems to have headed that way. I just thought the meaning of "fork"
was pretty simple and reasonably understood. Heck, I can't even find any
definitions online that contradict one other really.

I will, however, advocate that perhaps the community should adopt the "soft
fork" and "hard fork" terminology in order to differentiate compatible and
incompatible derivatives of Lua. That would be very helpful in my opinion.

~Paige