On 2017-11-28 03:06 AM, Sean Conner wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Soni They/Them L. once stated:
Some game developers would significantly benefit from a slightly
stripped-down[1] Lua C API as a built-in Lua module, as it would give
the ability to create perfectly-isolated sub-states from Lua.

It is technically possible to implement this in pure-Lua as it currently
stands, at a hefty amount of overhead, both in terms of code/maintenance
overhead, and CPU time. (it basically involves reimplementing the
debug.* API by checking if the given function is a valid target for the
debug API, and carefully wrapping host functions so they look like C
functions to the guest, and so on.)

[1] - We don't want to expose luaL_newstate, we want lua_newstate to use
the current state's allocator and stuff, and things like that.