On Nov 21, 2016 11:54 AM, "Peter Hickman" <peterhickman386@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't localisation actually hinder learning the (programming) language via code reading. Lets say I learn lua in Gujarati and want to learn from someone else's existing code only to find that it is written in the Chinese lua. I wouldn't stand a chance, my ability to learn would be severely diminished by my need to learn a dozen human languages just to be able to read the code.

easy peasy: you just crank up your chinese-lua to gujarati-lua translator.  it's a formal language, all the keywords etc. will translate perfectly.

objection: names for vars, fns, etc. won't translate. but that's not a new problem, and it's already possible to use a local language for those, and programmers in east Asia do so. even in English, as often as not the names are badly chosen, you have to read the code.

having said that, it seems pretty clear that "Programmer's English" works pretty well even for programmers who don't know much english.  I'm currently following a project whose primary devs are Korean and indian.  their English documentation totally sucks, but I can read their code.

-g