On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some old BASIC dialects got translated too. IIRC that was one of the reasons BASIC was so successful in Russian -- it was the only available language that could be used on a screen that was displaying Cyrillic characters.

This is completely off-topic in this list, but.

What you are saying is very likely not true. I'm not aware of any "translated" implementations of BASIC. All that I have personally seen in Russia and read about in Russian literature had English keywords. Some of them could use Cyrillic identifiers, and almost all could have Cyrillic chars in strings.

There were programming languages intended for beginners that were entirely Cyrillic (keywords et al.) [1]. Despite the fact that they usually were better languages than BASIC, they never really gained traction, to a certain degree because of the reasons mentioned earlier here.

Cheers,
V.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapira