> I believe the reason why the Lua team doesn't want to "fix" the default
> Makefile is because it's already a hassle just to maintain the existing
> rules.

Althuough this is not the reason for not supporting shared libraries,
it is a hassle to maintain the existing Makefile rules.

The supported platforms are:
   aix ansi bsd freebsd generic linux macosx mingw posix solaris

Of those, we don't have ready access to these:
	aix bsd freebsd solaris
and so the corresponding Makefile rules may not be up to date or optimal.

A previous thread on this subject did not produce much feedback: