On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>> I believe the reason why the Lua team doesn't want to "fix" the default
>> Makefile is because it's already a hassle just to maintain the existing
>> rules.
>
> Althuough this is not the reason for not supporting shared libraries,
> it is a hassle to maintain the existing Makefile rules.
>
> The supported platforms are:
>    aix ansi bsd freebsd generic linux macosx mingw posix solaris
>
> Of those, we don't have ready access to these:
>         aix bsd freebsd solaris
> and so the corresponding Makefile rules may not be up to date or optimal.
>
> A previous thread on this subject did not produce much feedback:
>         http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2010-05/msg00353.html
>         http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2010-06/msg00252.html

You can get free access to AIX from IBM, you just need to sign up as
an IBM partner, can give you more detailed info if you want - they
give you a machine for a week at a time as often as you like. I keep
FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD virtual machines with the most recent
supported versions running, happy to give you access or answer
questions as to what is installed by default. I usually install from
packages on most of these, but haven't had any issues from the
makefiles when I have tried.

Justin