On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
>   One downside, it requires file handles (ints), not FILE objects.  I needed
> this primarily to work with sockets (another module I have [2]) so to avoid
> polluting my select module with implementation details of that, I decided to
> punt and leave it with file handles.
>
>   IO Completion ports only exist on Windows---they use a different model of
> programming than Posix, and sometimes, the two have a hard time meshing (for
> portability).

They do, but only when edge polling is required. nanomsg has a
"poll.c" file that might be worth checking up on. They use io
completion for Windows internally, but the included poll utility
library might still be using select.

Select is fine for many purposes, of course.

Thank you for posting this. It seems like there is a collection of
projects that are close.

-Andrew