On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 8:55 AM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Jeremy Ong <jeremycong@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As for compiler speed, I understand :). I fall in the camp of people
>> who are willing to wait because I believe the compiler is doing useful
>> work for me (type checking, static assertions, compile time
>> expressions, generics).
>
> The enemy of C++ is its heritage as a C-compatible language, which
> includes a build system that was new when men wore bellbottoms and
> women had flowers in their hair.  That is, most of that wait is not
> essential for the extra checking and due to the preprocessor pumping
> in massive includes. In this sense, C is bad for C++.  (Compare this
> to the wonderful smart linker that Delphi had and weep.)

C++14 has modules that solve a lot of this, including making module
headers insulated from preprocessor shenanigans.

I'm a C++ enthusiast, myself, in addition to a C++ user, to the point
where I'm currently working on the C++ grandmaster certification
course, in which the final project is to build a C++ compiler capable
of building its own sources. I picked the language up in 1997, before
it was even standardized, and seeing C++11 come out and C++14 in the
pipelines... C++ is really evolving into a very nice modern language
now.

/s/ Adam